In the late 1950s, the Bundeswehr began looking for a new rifle to replace its aging M1 weapons. After testing the Armalite AR-10, CETME Mo. 58 and FN-FAL, in 1956, the FAL was adopted as the Gewehr 1 (G1), and approximately 100,000 were ordered from FN in Belgium. The Germans wanted to manufacture the G1 locally, but FN refused to grant them a license which led to a mini political crisis within NATO. Accordingly, the Germans adopted the CETME in 1959 as the Gewehr 3 and arranged for it to be manufactured in Germany by Heckler & Koch and Rheinmetall. The finalized versions, the G3A3 and G3A4 (folding stock) would remain the standard rifles of the Bundeswehr for the next 40 years.